Thursday, September 23, 2010

Kick Drum Heart

Kick Drum Heart - The Avett Brothers
Album: I and Love and You

Last night I went to a "Cheap Wine Tasting" Girl's Night at a friend's, where everyone was supposed to bring a bottle of wine under $10, then we would vote for the best, and they would win a prize. I won for the white! Which was wonderful in itself, but my real prize came when a friend looks at me and goes "I know and love this song! And it's because of you!"

The Avett Brothers' Kick Drum Heart had just come on, and of course I had made the Wine Night Playlist, and she knew it from my 2009 Music Review. But I felt so proud. Because, really, that's the point. I make mix tapes because I want to spread the songs that I love. I also feel like when you listen to a whole album, sometimes the songs blend together if you're not fully paying attention. But just like wines change with smells and other tastes you have before and after you drink, songs change with not only the setting and mood you're in, but the music they're surrounded by. One of my goals for every tape is that the songs flow into each other, so that nothing is too jarring, but that they stand out against one another as well. There's a definite melodic story that I try to reach. Picking the songs is only the first step, arranging them is a whole other process.

And this particular song? I'll be honest, it made the cut because "I and Love and You" was too long, and I was trying to fit as many songs as possible on the 2009 CD. But it's better that it did. It's a happy song. Just like last night was a happy occasion. Even though it IS a love song, or at least comes across that way, the stanza:

I won't look back anymore
I left the people that do
It's not the chase that I love
It's me following you

I feel could be a good theme for my life right now. It's not about the rush of the chase, or trying to grasp onto something better. And I'm tired of looking back wishing for what was or wondering if I should have chosen different. It's following the path that leads to my dreams...and everything that I get to do and see along the way. And the beat, the kick drum beat, is a great pace setter.

Cheers to good wine and good friends (and good playlists that are too long to post)!

XO-
EBG

No comments:

Post a Comment